Somerset and Dorset
Searching for a lost line
Bailey Gate was opened on 1st November 1860 as “Sturminster Marshall” but was renamed “Bailey Gate” in November 1863, probably to avoid confusion with “Sturminster Newton” which opened on 31st August 1863. United Dairies occupied a site adjacent to the station and their sidings provided the main traffic handled at the station in the form of milk, which was sent to London via Wimborne.
The bridge which originally carried the road over the railway line at Bailey Gate as it was in 1981, just before it was taken down. The station would have been just the other side of the bridge.
Photograph Copyright © Geoff Cook 1981
The site of Bailey Gate station in 2007, now a trading estate. This photograph is taken from the edge of a roundabout which would have been about level with the entrance of the bridge in the photo on the left.
Photograph Copyright © Geoff Cook 2007
Midsomer Norton Station -
Quick links to other pages on this site
|History and Bath Green Park|
|Tucking Mill & Midford Station|
|Midford Viaduct, Wellow and Radstock|
|Midsomer Norton Station|
|Midsomer Norton (cont)|
|Winsor Hill Tunnels|
|Stourpaine & Durweston Halt|
|Charlton Marshall Halt|